We all get cravings from time to time (to time). It’s 3:30, a full hour, thirty minutes and 17 seconds before clock out time. You tummy is dong a slow dance to the tune of Maxwell’s somethin somethin. and it’s not about love.
What do you do when you need “a little somethin somethin” to take the edge off of your rising hunger, so you can concentrate and get on with the task at hand? There are a few tricks and some healthy snacks that will tame the beast, satisfy your tasted buds and get you back to work without interruption.
- Plan ahead- take at least two snacks to work wit you. One for before lunch and one for the afternoon stretch.
- Train your beast. The body is very much like an animal. If you take good care of it and be consistent, it will usually behave the way you want it to. So have your snack everyday at the same time. Whether you are at work, home or out and about. Sticking to a pre-determined time to have your snack will condition your body to expect nourishment according to your schedule and head your cravings off at the pass (satisfy energy needs before cravings arise).
- A snack is not an entree. Limit the portion of your snacks. A snack is just enough to satiate your energy needs until the next meal.
- Eat snacks slowly. One bite at a time and chew completely before swallowing. The enzymes released in the chewing process are part of the digestive process, but also part of the signaling system that let’s the body know you have eaten.
- Eat fruits or raw vegetables for snacks as much as possible. This will help you to get the fiber you need, in addition to micro and phyto-nutrients.
Tomorrow, my next post will give you a list of healthy snacks to give you not only something in your belly, but something nutritious as well.
Dingman’s Falls Hike – Saturday May 15
Mornings: Tuesday, Thursday 6 AM – Saturdays 7 AM
Evenings: Tuesday, Thursday 7 PM – Saturdays 7 AM