A conversation around dieting came up this morning after our boot camp session. One of the ladies expressed their disappointment with the diets they had tried in the past and the confusion she was experiencing, trying to find a diet that would work for her long term. Before getting into any discussion on the merits of one diet over the other, I tried to drive home the fact that originally, the word diet was defined as ‘lifestyle’. Funny we have finally come back to viewing lifestyle as a key component in our self healing toolbox. That being said I then talked about the 7 keys to adhere to in any weight loss program. So below you will find an excerpt from an article I wrote about 2 years ago, covering those 7 keys.
At the core of most effective nutrition plans you will find about 7 common must dos. These ” must dos” ensure you get what you need, in the quantity you need, when you need it. They work along with the bodies own self-regulating intelligence to adjust your weight to a personalized range that considers and compliments your activity level, metabolic rate and modern lifestyle.
According to Dr. John Bernardi in Precision Nutrition there are 7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutritional Programs, and they are:
2. Eat complete (containing all the essential amino acids), lean protein with each meal.
3. Eat fruits and/or vegetables with each food meal.
4. Ensure that your carbohydrate intake comes from fruits and vegetables. Exception: workout and post-workout drinks and meals.
5. Ensure that 25-30% of your energy intake comes from healthy fats.
6. Drink only non-calorie containing beverages, the best choices being water
and green tea.
7. Eat mostly whole foods (except workout and post-workout drinks).
So what about calories, or macro nutrient ratios?
Dr. Bernardi response is: “If you aren’t already practicing the above-mentioned habits, putting them to use over 90% of the time, everything else is just short of useless. The first Step in developing a nutrition plan to complement your decision to embrace a lifestyle that improves your health is to learn, embrace and practice new habits of food selection, and timing. Then you will be ready to adopt a more personalized diet”
Put these 7 must dos into action, document your results tweek as needed. Rinse and repeat.
PS. Free Pre-Boot Camp continues Tuesday. 3 sessions remaining.