95+ weather is not an excuse to skip your outdoor workout (read- boot camp). This is just the mind once again, offering up what seems to be a logical argument for self sabotage. Resist, resist, resist.
Do you know why human beings are at the top of the food chain (sorry my veggie readers), it’s because we are masters of adaptation. When nature served us up those sour lemons….., you know the rest.
Don’t let extreme hot weather initiate the beginning of what can easily become a quick decline into exercise absence. Use your common sense and take pre-cautions to safeguard your health and minimize your discomfort. Here are a few simple tips:
– schedule your workouts for early morning and evenings after sundown. it may still be warm but the worst is either over or yet to come.
– drink water before during and after your workout. staying hydrated on a hot day is essential to a safe hot weather workout.
– take it down a notch. the heat is doing part of the job for you. your heart rate is naturally raised to push heat out of the body via the skin, while still providing oxygen and nutrients to the organs and muscles.
– workout in shady areas that are slightly cooler than it’s surroundings. every little bit helps.
– dress to de-compress. loose fitting cotton clothing is the way to go
– get in/get out. none of those extended 2-3 hour workouts. keep it Safe, Effective, Efficient.
So let’s get back out there and show the Sun “who’s boss of me.” And if all else fails, hit the pool.