An integral factor in improving and maintaining health, wellness and fitness is often overlooked by the strong and the young. This factor is rest and rejuvenation. As members of a society that promotes the aggressive pursuit of goals, wealth and power, we have all been subliminally seduced into accepting the idea that work and play are both superior to rest.
We put the energetic, go getters on a pedestal of some inferred psycho-physical superiority that the rest of us should some how strive to match or at least concede our inferiority as mere mortals. Rest is viewed as a reward for our labor, not a major contributor to our health and happiness.
Fortunately, our lives are not completely in the hands of our belief systems and social pressures. Rest is something we cannot LIVE without. Sleep is an unavoidable, consequence of our daily energy expenditure and need for psychological and biological repair.
That part of our psyche that does not depend on outer, social, man made judgments to keep us alive, has no problem reducing our work output and shutting us down if necessary, when we don’t get proper rest. So let’s take heed to the guidance of our inner physician and make rest, recovery an integral part of our wellness regime.
Here are a few ways to ensure your getting the down time you need:
- try to get to bed at approximately the same hour each night.
- If you work from home, rise early and schedule a 15-20 minute siesta/cat nap into your day.
- Take 3 minutes when transitioning from a completed task to begin a new one to just sit and release.
- Schedule a vacation, staycation) or spiritual retreat into your annual calendar.
- Hit the spa or schedule an appointment with a bodywork therapist at least once a month.
- Get out of the city at least one weekend seasonally.
- Include an healing art such as Yoga or Tai Chi as part of your exercise program.
- Develop body awareness. Your body will let you know when it needs a break. This could help you avoid unnecessary down time.
PS. Check out my upcoming Seated Massage Workshop